Antietam Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 52
Stainrook's Brigade, Greene's Division
9 AM 17 September to 12 PM 17 September
(September 17, 1862.)
After the Confederate right flank had been turned, Stainrook's Brigade pursued through the East Woods, crossed the fields to the left of the burned out buildings of the Mumma farm, and halted behind the ridge a few yards east of this point where with the assistance of Monroe's and Tompkins' Rhode Island Batteries, it protected the right of French's Division of the Second Corps, and repulsed several assaults of the enemy. About 10:30 A. M. the Brigade crossed this road and entered the woods on the left of the Dunkard Church, its left on the road directly opposite this tablet where it remained until noon when it was compelled to retire to the East Woods.
Location: west side of the Smoketown Road in the East Woods (Map 1)
Notes: This tablet has a typographical error assigning Colonel Stainrook to the 100th Pennsylvania Infantry. He was Colonel of the 109th Pennsylvania. The tablet was cast and installed with that error.
Units described and/or located by this Tablet:
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Corps
3rd Maryland Infantry
102nd New York Infantry
111th Pennsylvania Infantry
Source: Antietam Battlefield Board, Antietam Battlefield Board Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)
1 Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth) [AotW citation 16715]
« back to Tablet Index