(September 17, 1862.)
Williams' Division moved from the Line and Hoffman farms at daylight on the 17th, and formed line at 7 A. M. near the North Woods, and advanced, Gordon's Brigade to the right on the high ground between D. R. Miller's and the East Woods, facing south. Crawford's Brigade on Gordon's left, facing southwest, and extending across the Smoketown Road. The Division relieved the left and center of the First Army Corps, checked the Confederate advance, and, in cooperation with Greene's Division, forced the enemy into the West Woods west of the Hagerstown Pike. Later it supported the assault made by Sedgwick's Division, Second Corps, and then formed in support of the Sixth Corps and continued upon this duty until the close of the engagement.