(September 16 - 19, 1862.)
On the night of the 16th, Fitzhugh Lee's Brigade of Stuart's Division was in position behind the hill about 650 yards northwest of this point supporting the Horse Artillery and extending the Confederate line to the Potomac River. It co-operated with Jackson's Command in resisting the advance of the enemy on the morning of the 17th, and later was withdrawn to the high ground west of this point where it was joined by Hampton's Brigade, and co-operated with the Infantry in repulsing Sedgwick's assault. Munford's Brigade was posted on the extreme right of the Confederate line, covering the lower fords of the Antietam. During the night of the 18th, Lee's Brigade covered the withdrawl of the Army of Northern Virginia to the south bank of the Potomac, and on the 19th Hampton's Brigade participated in the diversion at Williamsport.