(September 17, 1862.)
The Sixth Corps marched from its bivouac near Rohrersville, in Pleasant Valley, at 5:30 A.M. of the 17th and reached the field shortly before noon. Smith's Division led the advance. Hancock's Brigade took position on the right on the open ground east of D.R. Miller's and in the cornfield south of it. Irwin's Brigade formed line to the south of this point and, after an unsuccessful charge upon the Confederate position at the Dunkard Church, took position behind the ridge southeast of the church. Brooke's Brigade went into position on the right of French's Division, Second Corps, about 1100 yards south of this, parallel to and 170 yards north of the Bloody Lane.
Slocum's Division formed line north and south, on the left of Hancock's Brigade: Newton's Brigade on the right in the Cornfield and the open ground south of it, its left near this point; Torbert's First New Jersey Brigade with its right at this point and extending southerly across the Smoketown Road; Bartlett's Brigade on the left beyond the Mumma Cemetery and in the low ground between Mumma's and Roulette's. Beyond supporting the Artillery, Slocum's Division was not engaged.