(September 17, 1862 continued.)
The left of the Union line was held by Burnside's (Ninth) Corps. THe battle opened there about 10A.M., by an unsuccessful attempt of the 11th Connecticut Infantry, supported by Crook's Brigade, to carry the stone bridge over the Antietam, about a mile and a half south of this. Nagle's Brigade repeated the attempt and was repulsed. About noon the bridge was carried by a charge of Ferrero's Brigade. Sturgis' entire Division and Crook's Brigade, Kanawha Division, crossed and seized the high ground west of the stream. Rodman's Division and Ewing's Brigade, Kanawha Division moved down the east bank of the Antietam, crossed at Snavely's Ford, and, when the bridge was carried, ascended the stream and formed on Stugis' left. Willcox's Division crossed at the bridge and relieved Sturgis, who was put in reserve. At 3 P.M., Willcox's, Rodman's and the Kanawha Divisions advanced on Sharpsburg and, with the co-operation of portions of the Fifth Corps on the right, had driven the Confederates from the high ground south and east of the town, when they were assailed on the left by A.P. Hill's Confederate Division and fell back to the cover of the high ground bordering the Antietam. Upon the repulse of the Ninth Corps, Pleasonton's Cavalry, the Horse Batteries, and the Regular Infantry which had advanced on the Boonsboro Pike, nearly to Sharpsburg, were withdrawn across the Antietam.